History of our Church
History of the church building
During the summer of 1848, the decision was made to build a new church in Southwater on land at College Farm. One acre of land was stumped out by Henry Tylden Smith (the author of History of Southwater) and his uncle, H Charman. The foundation stone was laid on December 28 1848, Holy Innocents Day, by fifteen year old Sir Henry Fletcher, the eldest son of the late Sir Henry Fletcher of Ashley Park, Surrey.
Thus our Church building was born. Whether the Church was dedicated to the Holy Innocents only because the foundation stone was laid on that day is not recorded.
The architect employed to design the building was from
How much did it cost?
The cost of the actual building is recorded as being “in the region of £1,800”. Some doubt exists whether this represented the full cost and donations were made by local families of substance and these may not have been included in the total sum. Records do show, however, that in 1906 the Church was re-insured in the sum of £2,000.
In 1850, the Consolidated Chapelry of Southwater was formed out of the south of Horsham Parish and the north of Shipley Parish. The Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester, Bishop Gilbert, on 7 June 1850.
The belfry is of timber construction under a cedar shingle roof and houses a single bell. This was cast by C & G Mears, Bell-founders of London, in 1850. It is almost 17 inches diameter and is hung on a B-frame and chimed by a solid built-up half wheel. An interesting recorded fact is that a 40 rung ladder is required to reach the belfry.
The Parsonage was constructed in 1854 by Mr Poole of
Addition of a new vestry
In 1909, work commenced on the construction of a new Vestry to the south of the Chancel in accordance with plans prepared by a local architect, Wheeler Godman. The work cost £280, of which £200 was donated by the Fletcher family. It was completed in 1910.
Many repairs have been carried out over the years and from available records it is shown that often greater importance was attached to the costs, and in some instances the builder, rather than the nature of the works. One exception is the damage caused by high winds which were of such severity that on 11 February 1866 they brought down plaster inside the Church. Many unspecified improvements were carried out in 1864. In 1897, major repair work was undertaken by L & C Banks, starting on 3 May and completing on 18 June at a cost of £75 9s 6d. Repairs to the spire in 1915/16 gave, we are told, reason to reflect on increased costs which amounted to £9 16s 0d. By direct comparison, repairs to the belfry, which were undertaken in 1983 and included reinforcement of the bell support and re-tiling the roof with shingles, cost close to £5,000. Perhaps in
68 years’ time this too will be put into perspective. During the last war, a bomb fell on the railway line to the north of the Church, which closed the line for four days. The impact of this bomb brought down the Chancel ceiling.
The Church was originally built without an organ and a tuning fork was used to pitch a note for the choir which sang unaccompanied. An organ was first installed in 1864 at a time when other improvements were being carried out. The present organ was installed in 1981, having been reconstructed by parishioners with the help of organ builders Hill Norman & Beard. It is a pipe organ with two manuals, built in 1880 and came from Worth Abbey.
The heating of the Church has been the subject of a number of references in records. On 23 December 1888 a new heating apparatus was installed, a collection for which raised £41 1s 8d. In 1900, when the Church was reported to be cold at the east end, this was found to be in need of a new stove pipe. A further £75 0s 0d was spent on the heating system in 1909, but the problems were not resolved until around 1925 when Mr Piper installed hot water radiators and piping. With the addition of a modern oil-fired boiler, this system was in use until the winter of 1986/87, when the oil supply waxed and a number of the cast iron radiators froze and burst. These have been replaced with modern radiators but the main pipe runs remain. The boiler was replaced again for the cost of some £45,000 in 2012.
The windows in the south and east walls of the Church are typical examples of stained glass windows of the Victorian period and are believed to date from the construction of the building. The south wall contains both a two-light and three-light window, the stained glass of which is of recent design and construction.
The two-light window is known as the Pipers Window, after the donors. One light depicts the Southwater Village Wheelwright and the Blacksmith in the other. Both were members of the Piper Family.
The three-light window was presented by Southwater farmers and friends. It depicts farming activities carried out in the parish together with the three main farm buildings. It is, naturally enough, known as the Farmers Window. A book beneath the window records the Dedication and names of donors.
The north and south windows of the Chancel were donated by the Piper family to commemorate Scouting and Guiding in Southwater.
The windows in the north aisle were replaced with stained glass and show the history of
These few notes cannot present more than a brief glimpse into the history of
Last updated 01/2020